Sunday 2nd November 2014

Friendly v Giffnock Old Crocks at Woodfarm
4-5 (4-2)


Alan Galindo; Fraser Anderson, Robert Shimmons, Allan Lennox, Allan Mackenzie; Gary Duncan, Graeme McQuarrie (Scott Kilpatrick), Sean Connolly; Derek Muir, Ally McNaught (c), Craig McQuarrie (Adam Walker)


Our 800th all-time game saw us make another trip to Woodfarm to play the Old Crocks from Giffnock.


There were changes galore in the starting line up as Ray, Sebo, Crossers and his boy Craig were all missing and replaced by Fraser and Craig McQ, who were on the bench in the Mearns game, and Sean and Wee Al. There was also the welcome return of Adam on the bench for the first time since September.


There was an inevitable delay before the game kicked off as Giffnock struggled to get a team together. And they were ready to go with a very experienced (old) looking line up.


As we all know, there is no substitute for experience and the home side passed the ball about at the start of the game as we tried hard to even get a touch.


When we did get a touch after ten minutes we found our secret weapon, Del, who received the ball then ran at the Crocks defence, who couldn’t get near him, and he blasted the ball over the keeper from just outside the box for the opener.


The lead lasted ten minutes as Giffnock then equalised before they went ahead after a good move sliced our defence open.


The possession stats were heavily weighted in the home team’s favour but Del was the main threat to them and, from another run, he cut the ball back to Graeme but his shot was blocked.


 Five minutes later and Del scored his and our second. Lenny played the ball out of defence to Fraser who played a great ball to Del who ran on to shoot past the keeper.


Not long after, Ally played the ball through and Del beat the offside trap to round the keeper and complete his first hat trick for the Club.


Giffnock then had a player substituted for an elbow on Lenny which thankfully never escalated into anything and he was allowed back on later by the referee.


Just before the interval we went two goals ahead when Del burst down the right then played in Craig who steadied himself before firing the ball into the net (it was a chance just like Crossers’ against Cartsbridge except the ball didn’t slither out for a goal kick).


What a first half. Giffnock dominated possession and at times ran us ragged but we went into the break two goals ahead.


Adam came on for Craig at half time but the second half started badly for us, and fell away.


Giffnock pulled a goal back within a couple of minutes of the restart when a shot from outside the box flew over Gee’s head.


Then the home side equalised when they hammered in a rebound after a shot had come off the post.


It was one way traffic, and our woodwork was hit at least four times, as Giffnock employed a high offside line which we couldn’t get past much to everyone’s frustration.


A fifth goal wasn’t far away as Gee was getting seeing shots flying at him from all angles.


Eventually we managed to get a foothold on the game and Fraser sent Del free down the left. The ball got cut back to Graeme but the shot went wide.


Then came the chance of the game as Graeme broke down the right and crossed over to Adam but his close range shot was blocked. The ball fell to Craig (back on for Boab) but his effort was also blocked. The ball fell to Del but his shot was again blocked in a stramash of Archie McPherson proportions.


At the other end Gee made a magnificent one handed stop (pint please) from a header as the game was going end to end.


With only a couple of minutes left, and everything thrown into attack, Lenny headed on to Graeme but again the keeper blocked his effort.


So a defeat in a game where we had chances but in all honesty were second best to the Crocks who showed some excellent touches when in possession. Our main weapon was Del but we never got the ball to him enough in the second half and ended up frustrated as we were constantly offside.












Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here