Sunday 4th March v Calders at Holyrood Sports Centre

4-1 (0-0)

Andy Dick, Arthur McCue, Allan MacKenzie, Calum Colquhoun, Stuart Waugh, Ally McNaught, Paul Joyce (c), Craig McKenna, Alan Galindo, Danny Capaldi (Andy McNaught) and Adam Walker


QPSFC battled hard to record their first win of 2012, beating Calders 4-1 at Holyrood Sports Centre.


Craig McKenna's third brace of the year alongside goals from Andy McNaught and Adam Walker were enough to secure victory for Queen's, who produced an excellent counter attacking display to win for the first time since December 11th.


It was a threadbare squad for manager Iain Campbell to choose from and it was back to the 4-3-3 formation which worked so well in our last victory against Garrowhill before Christmas.


Andy Dick, in sparkling form against Partick the previous week, retained his place in goals while Arthur, Calum and the returning pair of Stuart and Wee Al lined up in defence. We only had ten to choose from at kick off so Danny from Calders kindly stepped in alongside Paul and Craig to make up a three man midfield. Up top, Adam and Ally flanked lone striker Galindo who marked his return to the side against Partick with a goal.


With all the goals coming in the second half you'd think the first half was a drab affair but Calders were aggrieved not to be well ahead as performed very well in the opening 45 minutes.


New keeper Dick was to thank for keeping Queen's in the game with a series of great saves. Tipping one effort onto the bar and then somehow stopping a shot which was behind him by clawing it off the line.


Queen's struggled to create and the closest they came was a goalmouth scramble from an Ally corner which neither Galindo or Stuart could force over the line due to some stout Calders defending.


By half time Andyboy had arrived on the sidelines so he came on for Danny as Mr C reshuffled into a 4-4-2 formation. Andy went up to partner Galindo while Ally and Adam dropped back into wide midfield roles.


The second half started in much the same vein with Andy D and the defence having to be at their best to keep out Calders who were piling forward at every opportunity. Queen's managed to grab the game's first goal though ten minutes into the half and change the complexion of the game entirely.


Craig found a pocket of space on the edge of the area and fired a shot at goal which squirmed through the grasp of the Calders goalkeeper to give Queen's the lead.


Calders frustrated by the scoreline started throwing everything forward and Queen's were finding the space to punish them on the break. They were rewarded with a second goal soon after.


Galindo played Adam in up the right hand side and his low cross found Andyboy unmarked ten yards from goal. The sub tucked the ball home first time to net for the first time this season.


Calders were losing their way a bit but Dick had to be alert to make a good stop with his legs as they looked to get back into the game. Their centre forward then fired over from close range when it looked easier to score after a rare slip by the QP centre halves in the six yard box.

Queen's killed the game off with around 15 minutes remaining with another goal from McKenna. Good work from Arthur and Ally up the right presented McKenna with a chance to deliver the ball into the box, and his cross/shot sailed over the head of the Calders keeper and into the net.


Calders did pull a goal back from close range moments later but Queen's weren't finished and Adam netted for the first time since October 1st to seal the win.


A huge punt from Dick bounced over the Calders defence and sent Adam in one-on-one with the keeper. The wee man kept his composure and sent a sublime lob up and over the onrushing keeper to secure the win.


An excellent display from Queen's and hopefully the first of many wins in 2012.


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here