4th April 2010 v Whitby Wanderers


Game 647  04/04/10 Internet Football League

v Whitby Wnderers at Caedmon School  0-0

Martin Kelly, Stuart Waugh (Robert Shimmons) (Arthur McCue), Calum Colquhoun (Calum MacDonald), Jack Waugh, John Crosbie, Ally McNaught (Adam Walker), Craig McKenna, Andy Dick (David Blair), Paul Joyce (c), Andy McNaught jnr (Danny McFarlane) and Sean Connelly (Fraser Marr)

Queen's made the long trek to North Yorkshire to face Whitby Town supporters team The Wanderers in the IFA League, and put in a resilient performance to secure their first clean sheet of the season and their second draw in as many weeks.  

It was a larger than expected squad that gathered for the early morning bus with a travelling party of eighteen so Mr. C had a few decisions to make when selecting his starting XI. Martin was in goals as usual, while Stuart and Calum C were at full back. The youthful partnership of Jack and Crossers were in the centre. Ally McNaught, Sean, Craig and Andy Dick made up the midfield and Andyboy partnered Paul up front. Calum Mac, LHD, Danny, Robert, Marr, Adam and the returning Arthur, were held in reserve.  

On a fairly uneven, sloped grass park it was always going to be difficult for Queen's on the back of a five hour journey but we started positively and ranged efforts from Craig and Paul were unfortunate to fly wide. Martin made a smart save to deny a close range header from a Whitby corner on their first attack and he had Crossers to thank for knocking one off the line soon after.  

Andyboy's lobbed ball in to the box almost gave Paul a sniff of goal before the top scorer missed Queen's first gilt edged chance. Andy chased down a defender's clearance and when the ball presented itself to Joyce in the box he took a fresh air swipe with his left foot and the chance was gone. Craig had a shot deflected over before he headed Sean's corner wide on the half hour but after this Whitby moved into the ascendancy.  

They were denied a penalty when Crossers brought down their pacy striker in the box and Martin had to make a smart save to deny them a very late goal, but we held firm to half time where boss Campbell made a glut of chances. Robert, Marr, LHD, Danny, Calum Mac and Adam all came on to replace Stuart, Sean, Andy Dick, Andy Mc, CC and Ally Mc.  

Whitby started the half stronger and Jack and Crossers had to be alert to deal with a number of early corners as the hosts piled on the pressure. We came into it a bit more however and Danny missed a good chance when he lobbed wide following a great pass from Marr. Paul dragged a long range shot wide before Crossers made a brilliant covering tackle to deny a certain goal after the referee failed to notice the ball leave the park before it came back into our box. Arthur and Andy Dick had to come on for the crocked pair of Calum Mac and Robert towards the end and we should have won the game, missing two gilt edged chances towards the end. 

A great run by Adam up the line saw his shot pushed out by the keeper, and Danny was presented with what looked a tap in from six yards. He tried to control the ball instead of knocking it over the line however and the keeper recovered to force him wide. Marr should have headed home a pinpoint Arthur corner in injury time but the draw was a fair result, and a good one for Queen's. Both teams returned to the Stakesby Arms' pub in Whitby and a good day of alcohol, pool and darts was had by all. With a merry team, pleased with the result taking to the road home at about 7PM, the trip home was eventful indeed. Next up is a home match versus Kaisayr in the IFA League on Sunday. 

Mister Campbell’s Comments; This was certainly one of our best performances of the season and one where we battled hard and everybody gave their all.

Congratulations to Martin on a shut out, which nobody saw coming, and the defence did very well despite quite a few changes during the game (Calum C, Calum Mac, Robert and Crossers all coming off injured at various times). 

We looked like getting a win near the end after a series of corners but it wasn’t to be and a draw was a fair result in a sporting game. 

Good to see Arthur making a late comeback and his pre-match warm up (six cans and a bottle of wine) worked wonders in Whitby for the second year in a row. 

As for the bus journey. 

Quite calm and sedate as you would imagine and a pleasant trip with nice scenery and everybody had a wee sleep on the way back. Only Arthur had a drink but that was only to wash down his travel sickness pills. Everybody else was sober and quiet throughout. 

Well, that’s what I remember anyway………….


Twitter Follow Button




QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here