11th April 2010 v Kaisayr


 Game 648  11/04/10 Internet Football League

v Kaisayr at Toryglen Sports Centre  1-6 (0-5)

Martin Kelly, Stuart Waugh (Robert Shimmons), Calum Colquhoun (David McLean), Stephen Fox, Jack Waugh, Ally McNaught (David Blair), Sean Connolly (Fraser Marr), Calum MacDonald (Andy Dick), Paul Joyce (c) (Andy McNaught jnr), Craig McKenna (Arthur McCue) and Adam Walker

Scorer: Walker



Queen's slumped to a fairly heavy defeat at the hands of top IFA side Kaisayr, on a fine spring day at Toryglen. Following last week's excellent performance in Whitby, confidence was high prior to kick off and it was a strong XI that took to the field in an unfamiliar 4-3-3 formation. 

Martin was in goals per usual with Stuart, Calum C, Jack and the returning Foxy at the back. Calum MacDonald was entrusted as a holding midfield player, with Sean and Craig just in front of him. Adam and Ally Mc were the wide men while Paul took his place up front. Fraser was tipped to start the match but infatuated by Kaisayr's gorgeous matching tracksuit tops, Marrmite needed time on the sidelines to gather his thoughts.  

Queen's started the brighter and within a minute had an opening in the opposition box. Sean's through ball fed Ally inside the Ayr box but he couldn't get his shot away quick enough and he was well charged down. Kaisayr had previously outplayed us this season at Holyrood, so it was encouraging that we were holding our own in the early exchanges. Martin made a good save to turn away a ranged shot with less than 10 minutes gone but after a bright start we went down after twelve minutes. 

Stuart handled on the edge of the box, and as the defender failed to react, a quick free kick slipped in the Ayr number six and he slammed a great shot past Marty and into the corner of the net. We fought hard to level it and almost did moments after kick off. Paul showed great trickery to beat a couple of defenders but his powerful shot produced a stunning reaction stop from the goalkeeper, turning the ball away with an outstretched leg. Paul then had a good shout for a penalty when he was tripped in the box, but the appeals were waved away by the referee.  

On sixteen minutes disaster struck and we ended up further down. Calum C did well to intercept a pass on the left hand side of the box but Ayr's number 9 was the first to react and he sent a stunning looping volley over Martin and into the net. It was a truly great goal and it could have made our heads fall but we kept battling and should have pulled one back on twenty.  

A cross from the right hand side by Ally Mc found Adam unmarked three yards from goal, but he struggled to react in time and powered a header over the bar. Kaisayr are a good side and failure to take chances was always going to be costly, they punished lacklustre Queen's once again moments after the restart. An excellent passing move released Ayr's number 8 in acres of space in the penalty area, and he picked his spot to slide the ball under Martin for the first goal of an impressive hat trick.  

It could have been worse moments later when a mix up between Stuart and Martin allowed Kaisayr's number 10 to skip past Safehands, but his effort at goal was brilliantly cleared off the line by the covering Colquhoun. We didn't heed the warning and a disastrous half continued to get worse on the half hour. A cross ball from the impressive number 3 was flicked on and the big number 8 slipped in ahead of Foxy and CC to power home his second.

We were in disarray now and managed to concede again before the half was up. A cross from the right was flapped by Martin and the Ayr striker reacted quickest to fire the ball home and complete a hat trick. We had competed well in the first period but mistakes at the back had cost us dearly, Mr Campbell made a number of changes in an attempt to stem the tide. Robert replaced Stuart at right full back while Andy Dick and Fraser were introduced in midfield, taking over from Sean and Calum Mac. LHD was deployed on the right wing, in place of Ally McNaught. The boss tried to introduce Fat Dave in place of Calum C but the barman was nowhere to be seen, it was of no surprise to the gaffer that Oor Davie was on his first food break of the day.

David did return to come on for Calum a few minutes later, but Kaisayr still had the better of the early exchanges. Foxy was forced to make a good tackle in the box as they threatened once more and Martin made a good save to deny the visitors number six. We were battling hard and LHD almost pulled one back when his long range shot just cleared the bar. We did finally get the goal we deserved on the hour. Craig burst through the middle and his powerful shot smashed off the underside of the crossbar, Andy Dick, skipper after Paul was replaced by Arthur moments earlier, rolled the ball back into the path of Adam Walker who sent a delightful curling shot into the top corner. It was Adam's first for the club after missing a number of chances in recent weeks and its fair to say he was pleased with his effort.

The manager made what should've been his final change, bringing on Andy McNaught for Craig but within a minute he was forced to shuffle the pack again. Andy landed awkwardly attacking a corner from Arthur and suffered a nasty looking knee injury and McCue popped his thigh whilst swinging the ball in. Both players had to be withdrawn, in favour of Paul and Ally Mc. We kept battling but conceded an injury time goal to end the match. Kaisayr's number 9 got the break of the ball in the box and slid a shot under Martin to end the scoring.

Next up for QP is a game versus Fraser “Gibby” Gibson's All Star “Evening Times” Select, at Toryglen next week.

Captain Andy Richard's Comments - Thought we did well to stick to our task and put in a decent show in the second half where in the past the heads may have gone down. Great to see Adam get a well deserved first goal and a Goal of the Season contender too!


Twitter Follow Button




QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here