12/01/14 Friendly v Broadwood Clyde at Toryglen Sports Centre 1-4 (1-3)


David Stewart; Ally McNaught, Calum Colquhoun (c), Alan Galindo, Allan Mackenzie; Gary Duncan, Craig McKenna, Graeme McQuarrie; Adam Walker, Sean Connolly, Scott Macrae. Subs (all used): Allan Lennox, Robert Shimmons, Craig McQuarrie, Andy Dick, Scott Kilpatrick, David Blair


There was little to cheer for QP as we started the calendar year with our second consecutive defeat, a 4-1 home reverse at the hands of Broadwood Clyde. Graeme McQuarrie notched our only goal with an excellent first half finish to reduce the arrears at 3-0, but in truth we were hamstrung by a terrible start and our battling second half display was made to count for nothing.


We had a squad of 17 for this one in the end but with three players arriving late it was a straightforward team selection for the gaffer Andy McNaught. David Stewart was back in goals with a four-man defence of Ally McNaught, Colquhoun, Galindo and the in form Allan Mackenzie in front of him. In midfield we had the trio of Graeme McQuarrie, McKenna and Wee Gaz. Sebo was the main striker with Adam and Sean Connolly in the wide positions.


Sean was looking in the mood out left from the start as he got at the Clyde full back forcing a corner within the first minute but in truth Queen’s started poorly and it was no surprise when we fell behind within the opening ten minutes.


CC and Wee Al got into trouble at the back and Clyde took the opportunity to break in behind,  the mixture of Ally, David and the frame of the goal tried its best to keep Clyde out but the ball was eventually poked home with David prone on the floor, a terrible goal to lose.


Queen’s poor start was to continue as Broadwood piled on the pressure, Dave made a couple of fair stops before we lost Ally to injury when he collided with the post going for an aerial ball. It looked like a potentially serious problem at first so it was a great relief to see him up and about, if injured within a few minutes. Allan Lennox came on at centre back with Mackenzie moving to left back.


After the stoppage, QP were made to pay for even sloppier defending. We couldn’t get the ball out following a badly defended corner kick, and a speculative cross from the left drifted in at the far post with David clutching at air. The young keeper maybe could have done better but he was badly exposed by his defence who were struggling to match Clyde for pace and power.


The second goal bizarrely breathed life into the Queen’s display as we started to get our foot on the ball and compete all over the park. We were failing to create chances though and both Galindo and McKenna wasted free kicks in dangerous positions. The closest we came when a cross was flashed across goal by Connolly but we couldn’t quite make the most of the resulting stramash.


Despite our improvement Clyde had a third goal before the half hour mark.  They used their pace to get in behind once again and it was a simple close range finish for their centre forward to make it 3-0.


Despite the visitors advantage the game was beginning to get fairly tousy and there were different clashes involving McQuarrie and Macrae following some fairly away tackling, these two were to link up well to get Queen’s back in the game before half time.


Adam played the ball to CC who found Sebo, who in turn dinked a delightful ball into the path of the onrushing Graeme. He took a touch, got clear of a defender and fired a powerful low drive home from 16 yards, an excellent goal.


With a large bench there were a number of half time changes. On came skipper Andy D in midfield for Gary, Antics replaced Sebo up front, Robert came on at the back for CC and LHD replaced Adam out wide.


Queen’s huffed and puffed a lot during the second half and while we had most of the play we could not carve out any real clear-cut chances. There was a shout for a penalty when Craig McQuarrie went down in the box and he was unlucky not to get on the end of a teasing Davie Blair cross on the hour mark at the back post. Our best effort was a drive by Graeme that went inches wide but in truth we never looked like scoring despite our marked improvement.


To rub salt into our wounds, we lost McKenna, Lennox and Galindo as the half went on to niggling injuries and Clyde found a fourth goal with five minutes left. Galindo pulled up injured in a footrace with a Clyde forward who couldn’t believe his luck when presented with the chance to fire across Stewart and into the far corner.


So a disappointing start to the season but barring a disastrous opening 15 minutes we more than matched a good Scottish Supporters League side. More to come from Queen’s this year however, starting with Garrowhill over 35s next week, in Shettleston.




Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here