Match Reports 2017/18

14th October 2017 - IFA League v Real Maroon at Toryglen

6-2 (6-0)

TEAM: Alan Galindo (c), Fraser Anderson, Ross Pollock, Allan Lennox, Stephen Stockman, Drew Omand, Ross Dunbar, Adam Ellsworth, Raymond Ford, Scott Macrae, Darren Dunsmore.

SUBS: Andy Waugh, Ross McGillivray, Allan Mackenzie, David Blair, Lee Kilpatrick

SCORERS: Dunbar, Dunsmore, Ford (2), Macrae, Lennox

POTD: Ross Dunbar

In: Galindo, Stockman, Omand, Dunbar, Dunsmore, Andy Waugh, Ross McGillivray
Out: Williams, Andy McNaught

After a hard working 1-1 draw away to Fir Park Corner, our unbeaten run came to a halt at Giffnock as the Old Crocks defeated an understrength team (with the Chairperson in goals for us !).

So it was back to Fortress Glasgow as Real Maroon (Hearts) travelled through from the Capital for a League game. Real are one of the longest established IFA teams around and we put in a superb performance to win 6-2 after a first half of total dominance.

As well as the result we celebrated a milestone as Dave “Bear” Blair came on in the second half to make his 200th appearance for the Club, only the 13th player to achieve this feat.

Gee was back in between the posts but was virtually a spectator in the first half as we tore Maroon apart through lightening pace and decisive finishing.

The early ten minutes or so were a close affair then Ross D opened the scoring after Sebo’s persistence down the right gave him a chance to cut the ball back across the area. Ross curled in a finish from round about the penalty spot.

Within a minute Ross had played a forty yard pass forward and Darren, as he does, sprinted past the last defender then headed the ball home past the outrushing keeper.

Our third goal came from another genetically challenged player as Ray headed home at the back post.

A good finish but nothing like the next goal as Ray calmly chipped the keeper from 40 yards for a goal that Eric Cantona would be chuffed with and another contender for Goal of the Season.

It was one way traffic now and Sebo notched his 99th goal for the Club as he stabbed the ball home from close range. Just before half time Lenny, for the third game in a row, burst forward from the back before finishing with a left footed shot from inside the area.

Phew, what a half and a great all round performance against an experienced team. A couple of changes at half time and Real regrouped after what their Manager described afterwards as “the worst 45 minutes we’ve played in sixteen years”.

The second half was a quieter affair as we continued to play well but created less and Hearts came more into the game.

The only excitement was who would win the sweep for when the Bear would make his historic appearance. The majority of people had between 80 and 90 minutes but they were ripped up as he got an incredible 25 minutes (official timing 24 minutes 47 seconds).

The flash of cameras from the world’s media burst into life as the Bear came on for Sebo and there was a tear in the eye of those in the sidelines, particularly when his first piece of the action was when he chased down a ball in the area and fell over.

Bear nearly marked the occasion in great style but failed to get his head to an inviting cross from the right which seemed a certain goal. It wasn’t.

Near the end Hearts puled two goals back, one after Stockers had done his “I’ll try and beat everybody at the back” trick, but it didn’t spoil a great win and performance.

After the game Bear received a cheeky wee bottle of vodka for his contribution over the years and hopefully there are many more (brief) appearances left for one of our real characters.