Saturday 15th August 2015
IFA League v Bully Wee United at Broadwood
3-3 (0-1)

Alan Galindo (c); Adam Walker, Ally McNaught (Robert Shimmons), Allan Lennox, Allan Mackenzie; Gary Duncan, Sean Connolly; Kieran Friel, Derek Muir (Darren Dunsmore), Ross Dunbar (David Blair); Scott Macrae

A proper IFA League game before the big game between QP and Clyde at Broadwood.

A squad of 14 arrived in Cumbernauld for the 12.15pm kick off but it was 1pm before we got underway as the referee failed to show and his back up got there as quick as he could.

This gave us plenty of time for a warm up before the Boss picked his team.

Gee making his 100th appearance was captain and keeper; Adam and Ally were the full backs with Wee Al and Lenny in the middle; Gary and Sean were in a two man holding role; Kieran, Del and Ross were ahead of them in midfield; and Sebo was up front on his own. LHD, Darren and Boab were on the bench.

Bully Wee aren’t expected to play many IFA games this season but they had a large squad and they started off the better and had the majority of the early possession.

Gradually we worked our way into the game and played some nice football in a competitive game which was well refereed.

In his milestone game Gee was the busier keeper and made a good low save with the rebound striking the post as Clyde put on the pressure.

In a breakaway we created a great chance as Sebo found himself on the right, crossed to centre back Lenny who headed down to Kieran but his shot flashed wide.

A Clyde forward then broke through but Gee made a great save before we conceded a penalty with five minutes left of the half.  

Wee Al was adjudged to have fouled a forward and the kick beat Gee’s full length dive to put us behind at the break.

Darren came on for Del, just back from an achilles injury, at the break and we started off the second half in brilliant fashion.

Kieran suddenly became unstoppable on the right and full back Adam was playing like an extra winger as we forced Clyde back.

Within two minutes of the restart Kieran put over a cross to Darren in the area and he was fouled for the second penalty of the game. Lenny confidently stepped up, with a record of six taken six scored, but his firmly hit shot was brilliantly turned away by the Clyde keeper.

The disappointment didn’t last long though as Kieran made another run down the right and he found Adam who put over a brilliant cross for Sebo who dived to head home.

It was all one way traffic but somehow we managed to go behind again as a free kick flew past Gee to put Clyde two one ahead. The kick was variously described as “superb”, “unstoppable” and “wow” but in truth it was in the middle of the goal and our keeper should have held it !

Again we never let the heads go down and yet another run from Kieran saw him have a shot saved at the post from a narrow angle.

LHD came on for Ross in midfield which meant we now had a lovely pair of ladies gloves on the pitch, and, of course, someone with the ability to take a long throw.

Twenty minutes to go and we got back on level terms and it just had to be Kieran that found the net. The “Real Deal” picked up the ball about 25 yards out and fired a superb shot into the net for a well-deserved goal.

Two minutes later a mazy run by Darren saw the ball reach Sean and his shot came off the bar with Kieran firing wide from the rebound.

Breathless stuff ! And next it was Clyde’s turn to nearly score when a run down the right saw the ball flashed across our goal but thankfully it went wide.

Chances were coming at both ends and now we were back on the attack as Sebo had a shot turned wide for a corner before Kieran had a similar effort saved as we continued to look dangerous every time we attacked.

Unfortunately Clyde looked dangerous as well and with only six minutes to go they took the lead for the third time when, after we couldn’t clear our lines, a forward struck the ball off Wee Al into the net.

Robert had come on for Ally by this point and even he was pushing forward as we went in search of another equaliser.

Only a minute of normal time remained when Gee launched the ball, veteran Clyde centre half John McCone tried to head the ball back to his keeper but made a hash of it and Sebo pounced to score his second of the game and start wild goal celebrations.

Clyde were rocking now and we still had time to push forward and win a series of corners. From one of them Del, back on for Darren, crossed the ball along the six yard box but both Sebo and LHD failed to get their foot on it to get the winner.

The final whistle brought an excellent game of football to a close and one in which we had shown a tremendous amount of fight and skill to more than earn a point.

The second half attacking performance was as good as we’ve seen in recent years and Kieran’s performance was unbelievable as Clyde couldn’t get the ball off him as he tore them to shreds.

Only one way to celebrate a performance like this, watch Queen’s win the big game 2-0 !


Another excellent battling display from our guys in a tough away league game. We didn’t play well enough in the first half, but there was nothing between the teams and Clyde were fortunate to be ahead through a late penalty at the break. The improvement in the second half was obvious from the off and we got right at the Clyde defence from the very start, our penalty miss wasn’t the setback it could’ve been and after we got to 1-1 I thought there was only one winner. Clyde showed some real grit though and they kept nudging in front against the run of play. We showed unbelievable character to net a third equaliser in injury time and probably should have won the game at the death as we bombarded the home side’s goal.
Overall, an excellent display. We attacked with real style in the second half and if we can just cut out the silly mistakes when defending we’ll start turning draws like this into wins. No league game for another two weeks when we host an excellent Motherwell side, but a couple of friendlies between now and then to keep us ticking over, starting tomorrow against MacDonald Rovers. MacDonald’s are a much improved side these days but we’ve shown what we are capable of in our last couple games, if we play to our potential we can pick up our first win of the season.


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here