Sunday 16th September v Troon at Toryglen Sports Centre

2-2 (0-0)


Andy Dick (c); Arthur McCue (David Blair), Allan Mackenzie, Alan Galindo, Allan Lennox; Ally McNaught (Robert Shimmons), Alastair Wilson, Paul Joyce, Craig McKenna (Calum Colquhoun); Adam Walker, Scott Macrae


After our first defeat of the season against Perth Hotspurs we faced Troon at Torgylen, always a hard game.


Two changes in the starting line up with Wee Al and Alastair coming in for Sean and LHD and we also welcomed back CC onto the bench (but not the warm up) after his adventures on the high seas.


There was a more sober look to the squad and this showed with an excellent all round performance throughout the ninety minutes.


The first half saw us compete in every area of the pitch and we didn’t allow Troon to dictate play or get many passes together.


Chances were few and far between for both teams and there was no scoring at the break.


The Boss was very pleased with the effort shown, as he told the team, “playing superbly, keep it going”, and he made one change at the interval as LHD came on for Arthur with Ally going to right back.


Keep it going was what we did and within seven minutes of the second half we were ahead.


Craig, who Troon were very impressed with, as we were, picked up the ball in midfield and ran through about three challenges before getting a shot in from a tight angle. The Troon keeper saved the shot but couldn’t hold the ball and Sebo smashed the rebound in for our opener.


Better was to follow not long after as we gained a free kick out on our right. Ally took the kick and floated a high ball into the six yard box which the keeper flapped at, probably because he could see Sebo bearing down on him, and the ball struck the underside of the bar before going over the line.


Two goals ahead and playing well but within a couple of minutes we lost a goal as we failed to defend a free kick which was chipped into the area and Troon had a goal back.

Boaby Shimmons was brought on for Ally with Alistair going to right back and Adam nearly made it 3-1 but he shot wide from close range.


Troon were pushing us back but we were defending well and playing our way out of defence with LHD doing well on the right wing.


A last change was made when CC was brought on for Craig who had run himself into the ground.


This change brought a delay though as CC was asked to play right back, our fourth of the game, but the defence weren’t having it as his Christian name doesn’t start with “A”.


The only solution was to phone Uncle Crossers and see if he could come up with a solution. On a very crackly line Unk said, “tell him he’s an Atholl”, so that solved the problem and we could get on with the game.


Time was running out but Sebo and Adam were still hassling the Troon defence and Adam nearly made it 3-1 but again he shot wide after a defensive mistake.


The referee was looking at his watch as Troon tried one last attack and, after a stramash, one of their players managed to get a chance at a close range shot and he made no mistake for the equaliser.


A disappointing end to the game but we put in an excellent all round performance and everybody deserves credit for the way they played.


Thanks to Richard and his Troon team for the game and for coming back to The Langside afterwards.







Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here