Match Reports 2017/18

16th September 2017 - IFA League v Internazioswally at Toryglen

7-0 (4-0)

Ross Dunbar; Ross Pollock, Allan Lennox (c), Stephen Stockman, Fraser Anderson; Adam Ellsworth, James Williams; Neale Waugh, Raymond Ford, Darren Dunsmore; Scott Macrae. Subs: Allan Mackenzie, Ross McGillivray, Andy Waugh, Adam Walker, Mark Sloan, Andy McNaught

Scorers: Pollock, Ford 3, Macrae (2), N. Waugh

POTD: Raymond Ford

In: Williams, N.Waugh, Dunsmore, Walker

Out: Galindo, Muir, McQuarrie

Back to IFA League action and we earned our biggest ever win in the League as we demolished Airdrie 7-0 at Toryglen.

It was a fine performance against a young Airdrie side (bar a couple of old timers) who kept going to the end despite being well beaten.

The big news before the start of the game was that Club Captain and goalkeeper Alan Galindo was missing. Gee had impressed Croftfoot Church the previous week so much that they had asked our net minder to take part in their Autumn Play in the church hall and he was away at rehearsals. The play, “Fawlty Towers – A Tribute”, sees Gee playing the part of hapless Spanish waiter Manuel and apparently he’s a natural.

In Gee’s place was Ross Dunbar, our current top scorer and penalty taker, and he had very little to do during the game. In fact he never touched the ball with his hands until the 50th minute which unusually isn’t a Club Record for a keeper. Back in 1952 our goalie Benedict “Benny” Drennan (later the Earl of Ecclefechan) once played a full game without touching the ball at all as he sat on a shooting stick beside the goal post in protest at our new Manager’s tactics. 

The new Manager, Andy Man, replaced our usual 2-3-5 formation with a more conservative 8-2-0 and Benny wasn’t a happy man. The game against Calders was lost 13-0 but a point had been proved to the new Manager (sacked after five years).

Anyway, we started on the front foot against Airdrie and Ray went on a mazy run past about four defenders before he chipped the ball over the outrushing keeper but agonisingly over the bar. A great chance but the shouts of “head up Ray” fell on deaf ears.

It wasn’t long before we were ahead from a familiar source, Ross Pollock. Our stalwart left back as usual was on the set pieces and he curled a corner straight into the net again as Darren tried his best to foul the keeper.

Ray was running the midfield and showing us all his tricks and he made it two from a near impossible angle on the byline after playing an exquisite one-two with Sebo.

Two nil ahead and Airdrie appeared to go gung ho as Neale Waugh's long through ball from the back found Ray who ran free down the touchline. The keeper was way out his box but the wee midfielder calmly rounded him to score his second goal.

As we piled on the pressure Sebo was fouled by the keeper to earn us a penalty and Captain Lenny burst forward to take it. But to everyone’s surprise James, who once went on an exotic holiday with 12th choice goalkeeper Dougie Lyden, was given the ball for the spot kick. James, returning from a back injury, stepped forward confidently but Club Ball Boy CC “Calum” Colquhoun wasn’t so sure and headed to the car park. CC was proved right as James hit the ball high wide and handsome.

Sebo had been putting himself about to good effect and finally he managed a goal just before half time when he volleyed home at the back post from a Darren cross. As the goal went in the crowd started singing the “Sebo Song” which mentions his 24” pizza. I can confirm that this song is now barred after complaints from all the other fast food outlets that our centre forward uses. Sorry for any offence.

No changes at half time and we continued to dominate the game in the second half as Neale made it 5-0 as he burst forward then skilfully curled the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner.

Sebo was next on the scoresheet as he got on the end of a cut back from Neale to take a touch then fire the ball home. That was goal number 98 for Sebo and he’s now only two away from joining some Club giants in the 100 Club (although Scott Cassidy is only 5 foot seven).

Time for the subs to come on including Adam Walker for the first time this season as he returned from a loan spell with the Thailand Tomcats in the Far East.

Twenty minutes to go and Ray completed his hat trick and made it seven as he ran onto a through pass to calmly pass the ball past the keeper and into the net. A great reward for a great performance.

Time for the final two subs with 17 (SEVENTEEN) minutes to go as Andy Boy and the EK Messi were given a run out. This immediately caused panic in our defence as thoughts of a shut out seemed forlorn but somehow we held out and the final whistle was a relief to everybody.

A great team effort and a well-deserved record win with everyone playing their part.