Sunday 18th March v Perth Hotspurs at McDiarmid Park 

6-0 (4-0) 

Martin Kelly, Callum Weir, Allan MacKenzie, Calum Colquhoun, Paul Joyce (c), Ally McNaught, Alan Galindo (Iain Campbell), Craig McKenna, Allan Lennox, Danny McFarlane and Adam Walker

 Queen's made it two wins in a row with a rare victory in Perth, as we defeated Gav McDonald's Perth Hotspur side by 6 goals to nil at McDiarmid Park Astro.

 After two seasons without an away win, this was Queen's third of the season and it was achieved thanks to an excellent performance, especially in the first half.

 A squad of 12 (including the gaffer Iain Campbell) made the trip to the Fair City so there wasn't much of a selection headache for Mr C pre match. Martin was back in goals and in front of him was a defence of Callum, Wee Al, Paul and CC. The midfield four was Ally, Adam, Galindo and Craig, while Lenny partnered the returning Danny up front.

 The game was a tight affair early on with both sides creating chances. Martin kept us level with a fine fingertip save to deny Gav from range while the Spurs keeper did well to deny firstly Craig and then Danny with a pair of excellent stops

 Adam should have opened the scoring when presented with an easy tap in at the back post but he somehow managed to scoop the ball up and over the crossbar when it was easier to find the net.

 The feeling was that the first goal would prove vital and thankfully it came for Queen's. A corner into the box by Ally was knocked down at the back post and Adam was on hand to make up for his earlier miss and lash the ball home from inside the six yard box.

 Queen's were dominating the play and missing chances but Martin had to be alert with another excellent save as Perth caught us on the counter attack, somehow tipping a shot wide when it looked behind him.

 Our lead was hardly secure at this point but we managed a second goal soon after to calm the nerves.

 Another excellent corner from Ally, this time to the back post, was met by Lenny, and his header flew past the keeper and into the back of the net. QP were starting to pull away now and we scored again minutes later to extend our lead to three.

 Lenny was fouled just to the left hand side of the penalty area and we were awarded a free kick. Ally, whose set pieces had already caused havoc, stepped up and bent what looked like a cross to the back post but it evaded everyone and flew into the top corner of the net.

 The football we were playing was a joy to watch now and we were squandering chances to score almost every time we moved forward, but we notched a fourth just before half time.

 A great passing move sent Adam up the left hand side and, when the wee man played a perfect cutback to the edge of the box, Ally arrived right on cue to side foot an excellent shot into the top corner.

 The second half was a much tighter affair as Perth organised themselves at half time but Queen's were still in the business of creating chances and Ally was unfortunate not to grab his hat trick when he ended an excellent solo run with a shot off the base of the post. The rebound presented itself to Danny three yards out, but the striker somehow managed not to find the empty net with his shot and the chance was gone.

 Craig McKenna, who had spent the game warming the keeper's palms finally got the goal his play deserved minutes later, to make it 5-0.

 The midfielder wriggled clear on the edge of the box and his low shot was deflected past the keeper and into the bottom corner of the net.

 The game was becoming stretched as the QP searched for more goals and Martin and his defence had to be at their best to secure their clean sheet with a number of fine saves and interceptions.

 Danny was having a frustrating day up top, but he was very unlucky not to score when he beat a defender and fired a low shot towards goal, the home keeper making an excellent stop with his legs to deny him.

 The sixth and final goal of the game did come though, with only a few minutes remaining. A good move up the left cut Spurs to pieces and when the ball found its way to the back post, the marauding Callum Weir was on hand to plant a volley beyond the keeper and into the bottom corner.

 On what was a warm day in Perth our boys were starting to feel the heat and Galindo came off to give Mr C a rare substitute appearance. The gaffer rolled back the years with a couple of trademark touches as the game came to a close.

 An excellent performance, result and day out for everyone involved and a big thanks to Gav and his team for the game and the hospitality. We look forward to returning the favour when they visit us in Glasgow on the 22nd April.


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here