19/01/14 Friendly v Garrowhill Over 35's at Greenfield Sports Centre


David Stewart: Gary Duncan, Robert Shimmons, Alan Galindo, Allan Mackenzie; Calum Colquhoun (c), Craig McKenna, Graeme McQuarrie; Adam Walker, Sean Connolly, Scott Macrae. Subs (all used): Andy Dick, David Blair, Scott Kilpatrick


Queen’s recorded their first win of 2014 coming out as 7-4 victors in a typically topsy turvy game against Garrowhill at Greenfield.


It had been almost exactly a year since we last locked horns with them but there was to be no chance a repeat of the 3-2 loss we suffered on the 19th January 2013, as Queen’s dominated this one from first whistle to last.


There was only change from the side that lost to Broadwood Clyde with Ally McNaught injured and in came Robert Shimmons to take his place.  Gary Duncan shuffled over to right back while Robert took his place on the left of a defence also including Galindo and Wee Al (his 199th appearance).


Captain CC (with Andy D on the bench), Craig and Graeme made up the midfield three while Sean, Adam and Sebo were the front three. LHD and Goat joined Andy on the sidelines while David Stewart was in goals.


After last week’s slow start it was imperative we came out of the blocks quickly and that we certainly did. Sebo couldn’t quite stretch to get on the end of a teasing McQuarrie pass and moments after he smashed a howitzer of a strike off the underside of the bar from 18 yards.


The chances continued to fall for the big man within the opening 15 minutes as he fired a couple wide but Queen’s did get the breakthrough their domination merited just after the 20-minute mark.


A Garrowhill corner was well defended and after an excellent counter attack, Sebo teed up Graeme in the box and he made no mistake from around ten yards slamming the ball home for 1-0.


Queen’s continued to probe and Sebo was cutting a frustrated figure as he smashed the bar again with another wonderful ranged effort but Queen’s did manage number two soon after.


Craig McKenna collected a pass in the middle of the park, took a couple of touches, and bent an excellent 25-yard shot away from the goalkeeper and into the corner.


The last time we faced Garrowhill we were two goals ahead before losing and it appeared we hadn’t learnt our lesson when they pulled one back despite our complete domination.


Mackenzie missed a routine clearance from a long hump up the field and the Garrowhill striker made no mistake 1-on-1 with Stewart tucking the ball beyond him to reduce the arrears.


The potential was there for a collapse but Queen’s kept the nerve and went right up the park to score again. McQuarrie, who battered a low shot past the keeper from around 14 yards, brilliantly finished off a neat move started by Wee Al in his own six-yard box.


Queen’s finished the half strongly, McQuarrie and Connolly passing up further chances, but Garrowhill almost reduced our lead again with the last kick of the first period. They got in behind Shimmons on the left hand side but David made a great stop to turn a low drive round the post and make sure we got in at half time 3-1 ahead.


Andy Boss made two changes at the interval, replacing Shimmons and Colquhoun with Dick and Blair and one of the subs had the ball in the net within a minute of the restart.


LHD tapped in a low pass from McQuarrie from about a yard but the referee cancelled it out with an extremely questionable offside call, something that would become a theme of the game from here on in.


Queen’s kept pushing for more goals and got the 4th of the game through Big Sebo, who was having a frustrating game thus far.


Graeme fed Adam on the right channel and his driven low cross was turned home by the big number 9 at the far stick to make it 4-1.


A few minutes later it was 5 as Queen’s netted a truly comical goal. Gary burst over the half way line collecting a pass from Andy and managed to somehow beat the goalkeeper to the ball 30 yards out. With a defender present in front of the wee man, he shaped to lob but when the defender inexplicably lost his footing it left Gary with an easy task to run the ball in unopposed. 5-1.


With a four-goal lead it should have been game over but Queen’s made a good effort of throwing it away.


Another through ball to the Garrowhill striker saw him outstrip Gee in the box and fire the ball beyond David Stewart to reduce the deficit. They got another five minutes later when the same forward beat David to another through ball and dinked it over him to make it 5-3.


Queen’s were getting nervous but we eventually settled again and managed to secure the win with a further two goals.


Firstly Sebo fired a shot across the keeper after dispossessing a defender in the box, before Davie Blair made it seven when he blasted a shot home from twelve yards.


The scoring wasn’t over there as Garrowhill netted a fourth with five minutes to go. Galindo committed a silly foul in the area, and the home side made no mistake with the penalty.


A great win against a side who have always caused us problems in the past, and our biggest winning margin against Garrowhill. A good days work indeed.









Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here