20/10/13 Friendly


v MacDonald Rovers at Toryglen Sports Centre


13-2 (8-1)


Alan Galindo; Ally McNaught, Calum Colquhoun (Sean Connolly), Allan Lennox, Allan Mackenzie (Jack Waugh); Adam Walker, David Blair (c), Andy Dick, Ross Dunbar; Scott Macrae (Scott Kilpatrick) and Craig McKenna (Gary Duncan)


Way back on Sunday 27th August 1989 we were in our third season and started our Scottish Supporters League campaign as Champions.


Our first game of the new season was against Meadowbank Thistle at Burnhill Sports Centre on the huge ash pitch which we enjoyed playing on.


The League trophy had already been presented to us in June at a three way tournament at Newtongrange but League Secretary Charlie Lowrie was at Burnhill to hand out a commemorative shield and a Top Scorer trophy to Kenny McLellan.


Unfortunately for Meadowbank they struggled to get a team for the game in Glasgow and brought through a very young squad with only Charlie and Dave Baxter being over 21.


Also unfortunately for Meadowbank we had been desperate to get on the pitch as Champions and were champing (!) at the bit to play.


The collision of Champions against youngsters was an accident waiting to happen and we proceeded to put twenty goals past Meadowbank with Kenny McLellan scoring seven of them (match report).


Both the score and Kenny’s goals were League, and our, records and we have never got close to beating the twenty goals with thirteen being our best, and only Davie Grant and Scott Cassidy  managed six goals in a game to challenge Kenny’s record.


It seemed like some records were never meant to be broken but read on……………..


MacDonald Rovers are regulars at the Ian Younger Sixes but this was their first elevens game and they had four players with QP experience in their line up; Calum MacDonald, Alistair Wilson and Tam and Tony Brown.


For us, missing from the Clyde game were David and Robert but Andy D, Sean, Jack and The Goat were back as well as Crossers.


No David meant no keeper and Andy Boss had filled in the last time that happened. However, seeing as we had plenty of subs the Boss decided to sit this one out and Gee took over the gloves.


Now it’s a little known fact that Gee used to play in goals for QPFC when he was younger so he had no qualms about donning the red jersey for this game.


So Gee was in goals with Ally and CC at full backs and Lenny and Wee Al in central defence; the midfield was Adam, LHD, Ross and Andy D; up front Craig and Sebo.


It was a special occasion for our two flying wingers, LHD and Adam, as they were both making their 100th appearance.


As LHD had made his debut first it was decided that he would captain the side from the start with Adam taking over in the second half.


It was a great day for the two of them but also for the Stu Waugh Football Academy which had been inspirational in teaching them everything they know today.


Their great mentor was on the sidelines to watch and I could have sworn I saw a tear in his eye.


The weather was nice and calm at Toryglen and, despite being on the dreaded pitch 3, we were in confident mood.


That confidence was given a shake after only four minutes when a through ball was missed by Lenny and Alastair Wilson ran on to shoot past Gee to give the visitors a dream start.


Five minutes later though we were on our way as LHD sprinted down the left and sent over a cross which Sebo couldn’t reach but there was Adam at the back post and he finished easily.


One centurion had scored and another did so a minute later as a long range effort from LHD slid under Tam Broon’s body in the MacD goal.


It was one way traffic now and Ross fired in a free kick which Tam punched straight to Adam and he made no mistake.


A minute later LHD was through on goal but Cal Mac slid in to make a great block as the long haired one shot at goal and the rebound struck the post.


Some would say it’s the best thing they’ve seen Cal Mac do on a football field (unless you are in the opposition) and he immediately signalled to be subbed for a breather.


The Player/Manager had hardly left the field than Gee set up another goal with a long punt to LHD who squared to Adam to complete his hat trick.


A minute later and Adam had four in twelve minutes as he curled the ball into the top corner from outside the area for a superb goal.


The MacD’s just couldn’t stop the scoring and Craig crossed for Adam to fire in his fifth goal.


The MacD’s were under pressure so Crossers, of course, decided to help them out and he came on in defence to make it about a dozen teams he’s now played for against us.


The auld yin immediately made a difference as the scoring stopped for about ten minutes before incredibly Adam got his sixth goal as he pounced onto a rebound from a Sebo shot.


Just before the break Adam decided to turn provider and sent over a corner which Sebo headed home from inside the six yard box.


Phew, 8-1 up at half time and Adam had scored six !


Sean, Jack, The Goat and Gary all came on for the second half with CC, Al, Sebo and Craig all making way.


With The Great McLellan’s record in sight Adam put the armband on for the second half but would the pressure of responsibility get to him ?!!


Maybe it did as the game quietened down and chances were scarce at the start of the second half.


Jack, another product of the Stu Waugh Football Academy (!), was pushing forward more than usual and he won a tackle in the middle of MacD’s half and the ball fell to LHD who fired a shot past the new keeper (Tam had gone off as the goals were too big !).


There was a huge sense of anticipation on the bench at the prospect of Adam breaking a Club Record but the lack of service from The Goat meant that the wee winger would have to do something special himself.


And boy did he do something special as he waltzed past three defenders before shooting past the keeper to give us ten goals and a record equalling seven for himself.


It was MacD’s who got the next goal when a cross was turned into the net via a deflection off Sean.


A few minutes later Sean scored at the other end with a long range effort into the top corner.


It was a very open game as we had all the subbed players back on the pitch and Sebo was at centre half with CC seemingly playing centre forward.


Such was the bizarre nature of the game that Cal Mac found himself through on goal, our goal, but shot wide although apparently it struck the post but it was easier to score. I’m sure he would have knocked it in no bother at his own end.


Even more bizarre was the fact that we had two indirect free kicks in the MacD’s penalty area because of pass backs, neither of them causing any trouble to the visitors.


The minutes were ticking by and finally the moment arrived, a Club Record.


Craig burst forward down the left and, with only the keeper to beat, unselfishly cut the ball back to Adam who scored his eighth and record breaking goal.


A fantastic achievement and huge congratulations to Adam on breaking a 24 year record.


Adam was immediately substituted so that young Harrison McKenna will only have to score nine in the future to break the record !


The drama wasn’t over yet though as a corner found its way to the back post and there was The Goat to volley the ball home. A pitch invasion, and pile on followed and unfortunately the four stone Goat had to come off after all the excitement.


Seconds remaining and the last piece of action saw CC through on goal, only the keeper to beat, in the six yard box, a huge gap to put the ball in………………and he shot wide, skimming the post as if that made it better. Nobody saw Adam’s eight goals coming but can anybody see CC ever scoring from open play ? Nope, thought not.


Final score 13-2 and it had been a one sided game but played in a good spirit. MacD’s never gave up and better days will be ahead once they play more games.


Our dressing room was the place to be if you are an alcoholic as LHD (congratulations on his two goals which would have equalled a record on a 100th appearance but for somebody else !) and Adam received a bottle of vodka to celebrate their century of games.


 Adam was also presented with a bottle of champagne for breaking Kenny’s record (Mister C having brought the bottle along to every game since 1989).


More drink followed in The Langside and there was certainly a buzz about the place and Adam was even seen to be drinking alcohol ! A bizarre day indeed !


Thanks to MacDonald’s for coming back to the pub as well and hopefully we’ll get a game again next year.


In 1989 when Kenny scored his seven it was very early in our history but it looked like a record that would stand for a long time.


 Well, 24 years is a long time and it was well worth waiting for.








Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here