Sunday 22nd April - Friendly

v Scotstoun Park Galaxy at Toryglen Sports Centre

5-2 (4-1)

Martin Kelly, Arthur McCue, Calum Colquhoun, Jack Waugh, Stuart Waugh, Ally McNaught, Craig McKenna, Alan Galindo, Paul Joyce (c), Allan Lennox and Adam Walker. Subs (all used): Ryan McCue, Scott MacRae, Sean Connolly and Alistair Wilson 

Queen's Park SFC ended an excellent weekend on another high note, comfortably beating Scotstoun Park Galaxy 5-2 at Toryglen.


Saturday night's tremendously successful benefit game for Jazza didn't seem to have any effects on the legs of the players, who put in a top quality display to see off opposition who have had the better of us in the past.


Calum Colquhoun opened the scoring with a trademark penalty early on before further goals from Craig McKenna (2), Alistair Wilson and Adam Walker sealed our tenth victory of the season.


With recent shortages in numbers it was surprising to see 15 fit and available players turn up for this one, and it was a strong QP side which started the game.


Martin, player of the tournament at the Coasters Cup last week, was in goals with a defence of Arthur, CC, Jack and Stuart ahead of him. Our now established midfield quartet of Ally, Adam, Craig and Galindo were together once more while skipper Paul partnered Lenny up front.


We started in a confident fashion spraying the ball about the big park and we took only four minutes to seriously test Galaxy's on loan net minder Dougie Lyden who beat away a powerful shot from Craig.


When the ball came back in however, Dougie could only foul Adam as he tried to round him, and the referee had no choice but to point to the spot.


As he did at Perth earlier in the season, CC stepped up, and proceeded to hammer the spot kick beyond The Flying Coo and into the top corner of the net.


Queen's were on top now and Dougie did well to push away another powerful strike from Paul. We made our dominance pay again after ten minutes when Craig cut inside from the left and sent a terrific dipping shot over Dougie's head and into the back of the net. 2-0 Queen's.


Mr. C changed things up at Jazz Aid by introducing some rolling subs and he did so again after about half an hour on a warm day at Toryglen.


The changes were staggered but within the next five minutes the four man bench of Alistair, Ryan, Sean and debutante Scott “Sebo” MacRae were all introduced.


The subs seemed to have a negative impact on our play as Galaxy began to grow in confidence. Adam did well to head off the line at a corner, before Martin denied the Galaxy number 9 with his legs in a 1-on-1 situation.


Arthur was next to deny a certain goal when he brilliantly hooked the ball off the line with Martin on the deck and beaten, before Kelly made another excellent save from another 1-on-1.


We could only hold out for so long however and the visitors did get their goal back. Stuart carelessly conceded possession on the half way line and with our defence so far up the park Scotstoun were able to break and finally beat Martin with a shot from the edge of the area.


This season we've shown character in such situations and we did so again to almost instantly regain our two goal lead.


Good work from target man Scott and some hesitant defending allowed Alistair a chance 1-on-1 with Dougie, and he managed to squeeze the ball through the keeper's legs to make it 3-1.


Galindo, who was playing quite deep in midfield, almost made it four with a trademark free kick but his effort from 35 yards just bent away from goal at the last minute with Dougie stranded.


We were starting to regain some confidence now and before half time we managed to net for the fourth time. Paul swung in an excellent cross from the right hand side and Adam was on hand in the six yard box to steer the ball into the back of the net.


Alistair had a golden chance to pile on the misery for Anders Gibson's side with the last kick of the half, but the youngster somehow shot wide from close range when the ball broke following a penalty box stramash.


More changes followed at half time but Queen's were very much in control now with the two late first half goals appearing to knock the stuffing out of our opponents.


Galindo was first to threaten when he stabbed a right foot shot just wide from the edge of the box before Jack came close to his second QPSFC goal, his brilliant header cleared off the line following a pinpoint corner kick.


Scott and Stuart both fired over from range before Queen's put the icing on their five star show with a fine goal. Craig, now playing upfront took a pass in his stride, beat a couple of players and placed a shot beyond the keeper (Dougie having come off with a "groin" injury) to make it 5-1.


Scotstoun were awarded, and scored, a late penalty following a foul by Jack but it wasn't enough to take the gloss off a fine performance.


Another excellent effort and two wins in two days with a mere thirty six players being involved over the weekend.






Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here