Saturday 23rd January 2016
IFA Scottish Cup Quarter Final
v Fir Park Corner at Toryglen Football Centre
2-2 (0-2)
lost 4-2 on penalties

David Stewart; Gary Duncan (Kieran Friel), Ally McNaught (c) (Ross Pollock), Alan Galindo, Neale Waugh; Craig McKenna; Sean Lafferty, Raymond Ford; Adam Walker, Graeme McQuarrie (Derek Muir), Darren Dunsmore (David Blair)

Queen’s crashed out of this season’s IFA Scottish Cup at the Quarter Final stage due to a penalty kicks defeat to Fir Park Corner at Toryglen, following a pulsating 2-2 draw.

In a tight first half, Queen’s created the better of the early chances as Motherwell keeper Dave McFarlane brilliantly denied Darren Dunsmore from close range before Graeme McQuarrie blazed over from ten yards after a great team move had played him in one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Despite this, the visitors took the advantage on the half hour mark when forward Chris Beaton skinned Alan Galindo and fired a low shot beyond Davie Stewart from the edge of the box. A despairing attempt at a clearance on the line from Gary Duncan not enough to keep the ball from crossing the line.

We missed a decent opportunity to equalise when Craig McKenna headed home from an accurate Ally McNaught corner, but before we knew it we were staring defeat in the face at 2-0 down.

Another QP corner broke down and Motherwell countered quickly. McKenna done well to force the ball out for a throw but ‘Well took it quickly down the line, and Ross Pate was on hand to head home the inviting cross which followed from inside the six yard box.

Two changes for the home side at half time as Derek Muir and Kieran Friel joined the fray in place of Duncan and McQuarrie.

Well started the second period on top and they missed a gilt edged chance to kill the game on the hour when a forward poked a loose ball wide from six yards following a corner. The kind of luck QP needed and it seemed to spur us on.

We had a goal back on 65 minutes after a brilliant move involving both our half time substitutes. Friel worked hard to pick the ball up on the edge of our area, drove into space and played a pass into the feet of Muir.

Delboy held it up, before playing Kieran in with a delicious return ball, and the young winger expertly rounded the goalkeeper before stroking home for 2-1. A wonderful goal from the wee man, his 2nd of the season.

From here on it was really all Queen’s as we tried to batter down the door for an equaliser and we passed up our best chance with only five minutes remaining.

A whipped free kick from Neale Waugh needed the smallest of touches at the far post to guide it in but McKenna somehow missed it and the ball flew wide for a goal kick.

We didn’t give up though and on 85 minutes we had our just rewards for a battling second half display. Kieran and Darren battled hard down the right to win possession, and when Kieran got to the bye-line, his perfect cutback found Del in the area, twelve yards out.

Our IFA top scorer took his time, beating a defender before slamming the ball into the net with the keeper stranded.

We were well in the ascendancy and almost won it with literally the last kick of the ball. Ray Ford did well to beat a couple of defenders on the edge of the area, and fired inches over from eighteen yards out after negotiating some space in a tight area.

With the game tied at 2-2 after 90 minutes it was straight to penalties to decide who would take their place in the semi final, but we had already done well to come back and it was always going to be difficult for our lads.

Del and Galindo were the only two to net for QP, with Kieran and Ray both having their shots saved, and Motherwell scored all their kicks so we were beaten 4-2.

The Scottish Cup dream dies for another year but a brave performance from our lads.

Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here