Sunday 26th June v Posh Youth Select

 at Holyrood Sports Centre  3-3 (1-2)

Andy Dick, Arthur McCue, Ally McNaught, Allan MacKenzie, Calum Stewart, Adam Walker, Sean Connolly, Craig McKenna, Paul Joyce (c), David Blair (Fraser Marr) and Andy McNaught (Martin Kelly)

As is becoming a regular occurrence, we arranged a game the day after the Sixes, the traditional “warm down day”.

 Posh Youth were this year’s opponents and the youngsters provided seven of the team.

 Posh Masters, Andy Groom and Rog, were another two along with Tranmere/Edinburgh City/Meadowbank/Anybody “hit it the way you’re facing centre half” Colin “Neebs” McPherson.

 So that makes ten so just one more player required so naturally Crossers went over to the blue side to play for Posh.

  He was more concerned with how many players they had than how many we had and couldn’t wait to play for them !

 Despite all the exertions at the Sixes we managed to get thirteen players together and Andy D decided that he would go in goals despite Safehands presence, nobody objected.

 We weren’t exactly flush with defenders but Arthur went to right back, Ally Mac, completing a perfect attendance record of 31 games for the season, at left with Tall Cal and Wee Al in central defence.

 The midfield was Adam, Sean, Paul and Craig with the Teletubbies, Andy and LHD, up front.

 Marzinho refereed the first half which left Safehands on the bench, eyeing up a striking role in the second half.

 Understandably the game kicked off late after the previous day’s festivities and we only had time to play two halves of 30 minutes.

 It was meant to be a relaxing warm down but the game didn’t turn out that way and was played at a good pace and in a serious manner.

 James Harris of Posh stood out early on when he made two excellent solo runs which ended in goals, one a lob over the keeper’s head (“the more everything changes, the more it stays the same”).

 Stung into action we pulled a goal back before half time when Craig found space and fired a low shot into the net from outside the box.

 The Teletubbies, exhausted after the day before, made way for Marzinho (Mister C took over the refereeing duties) and Safehands who went up front.

 In the second half the Posh defence were under pressure but broke away to score a suspiciously offside goal from Harris again with the ref not up with play.

 The old heads at the back for the visitors, Groomy and Neebs, with 100 years in age between them, were coping well with our pressure but they were forced to concede a goal despite another offside claim.

 Skipper Paul broke down the right and put over a cross cum shot which Safehands got the merest of touches to with his head to help the ball into the net.

 No time for celebrations as time was running out and we continued to attack for the rest of the game but Posh did superbly well to hold out.

 Crossers was playing like a man possessed, as he always does against us, and he even managed a mad run up the wing which included taking on Tall Cal for pace. If only he was wearing black and white !

 Anyway, with literally one minute left on the clock Craig got a shooting chance and blasted the ball into the bottom corner to make the final score three all.

 It was an excellent game considering the day before and both teams gave it their all in an entertaining contest.

 Posh headed up the road and we headed to the Victoria Bar in Victoria Road for food and an afternoon of old songs on the jukebox courtesy of Dougie who had been deemed surplus to requirements, ie he preferred the pub.

 After a good session we then headed on to the Clutha just over the Clyde where we met the Wattenscheid guys and gals.

 Another good night followed and we were even entertained by Leyton O’s Arthur who gave an impromptu mouth organ concert outside the pub.

 The day eventually ended at various places throughout Glasgow and East Kilbride and was a great way to finish the weekend.












Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here