Saturday 26th September 2015
IFA British Cup 1st Round
v Bully Wee United at Hamilton Palace
3-1 (1-1)

Alan Galindo; Adam Walker, Ally McNaught (c), Neale Waugh, Derek Muir; Gary Duncan; Darren Dunsmore, David Blair (Ross Pollock), Kieran Friel (Robert Shimmons), Raymond Ford; Graeme McQuarrie

Queen’s were on the road in the IFA Scottish Cup 1st Round as we faced old foes Bully Wee United at the Hamilton Palace, before QPFC’s game away to Stirling Albion.

Last season we got by Real Maroon at this stage to make it to the Quarter Finals and we were hoping for a similar outcome against a decent Clyde team. We had faced Clyde once already this season, a thrilling 3-3 league draw back in August.

There was an excellent travelling party of 23 on the fun bus and in various cars but only 13 players fit and ready to play. This made for a rather straightforward team selection.

In a 4-1-4-1 formation. Gee was in goals with Adam and Ally at full back. Del and Neale paired up for an unfamiliar looking central defence with Gaz in front of them. Darren and LHD were our wide midfielders with Kieran and Ray in the middle. Graeme was up front on his own with Robert and RP on the bench.

It was a tight first half but we had the best of the play and we squandered a number of one-on-ones within the first 20 minutes with Darren the culprit in chief.

We took the lead our play deserved on 31 minutes when a long ball forward by Ally was misjudged by the Clyde defence, and Graeme ran on to lob the keeper from the edge of the box.

We continued to miss chances, with Kieran, Ally and Ray all coming close and Clyde were beginning to threaten, hitting the post and bar after good saves from Galindo.

On the stroke of half time the home team were level. Del brought down an opponent in the box, taking a booking for his troubles, and the resultant penalty was slammed past Gee and into the bottom corner.

1-1 at half time in a game we had dominated but we didn’t allow any nerves to surface and we continued our good play in the second half.

The Clyde keeper made a couple of excellent saves to prevent own goals after good work by Darren, and we should have had a penalty when Darren was chopped down in the box after another storming run.

Kieran was next to threaten, hitting the post from range, before we regained our lead on 69 minutes.

Graeme ran onto a flick on from Kieran, tied up a defender, and bent a wonderful shot over the home keeper and into the back of the net from around 18 yards.

Clyde began to have more of the ball but Gee was quiet in our goal and it was no surprise when we extended our lead five minutes later.

Kieran won a free kick wide left and was injured in the process (replaced by Robert with Adam moving into the middle) and Ally stepped up to bend the ball into the back of the net. It may well have been a cross, but it was a perfect ball into the danger area and it was guaranteed to cause problems for the home defence.

RP came on for LHD, who had put in a great shift, straight after the goal, and while we didn’t create any more chances we saw out the final 15 minutes with ease for a straightforward win.

Great to be back to winning ways and a fantastic day out in Stirling followed for the lads (the QPFC win at Forthbank was the icing on the cake!).

Bring on the draw for the next round!


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here