Sunday 27th November v Glasgow Rangers AFC at Holyrood Sports Centre

4-1 (4-0)


Andy Dick (c); Ally McNaught, Allan Mackenzie, Alan Galindo, Allan Lennox (Calum Colquhoun); Adam Walker, Sean Connolly, Gary Duncan, Paul Joyce, Ross Dunbar; David Blair (Robert Shimmons)


After a barren run stretching all the way back to mid-November, QPSFC are finally back to winning ways following an excellent 4-1 victory over Glasgow Rangers AFC at Fortress Holyrood.


Braces from Ross Dunbar and David Blair were enough to give Queen's a commanding 4-0 advantage at half and while we slacked off slightly after the break the 3-goal winning margin was flattering to our newly formed opponents who we dominated from start to finish.


Despite last week's hugely disappointing loss to Garrowhill, boss McNaught stayed with the 4-5-1 formation which we displayed last time out.


Andy Dick was in goals on his birthday (age unspecified) with the first choice defence of Ally, Wee Al, Galindo and Lenny in front of him. Sean and Adam were the two wide men, while Ross (on his second appearance) made up the centre of midfield alongside Paul and Wee Gaz. David was up front of his own as Big Sebo missed his first match of the season.

Expectations of our opponents were high but Queen's couldn't have started the game brighter and within two minutes of the start we had passed up two glorious chances to take the lead.


Firstly Ross headed an inch perfect Adam corner wide of the mark before Gee flicked a floating Paul free kick just wide of the keeper's right hand post.


It didn’t take us long to take the lead though, seven minutes to be exact. A ball into the box caused havoc between goalkeeper and defender and when the keeper dropped the ball at Dave's feet three yards out the forward gleefully touched the ball over line for 1-0.


It was the first time we had taken the lead in a match since our last victory (6-0 vs Worthing) and we doubled our lead before the ten minute mark had been reached.


Adam's corner from the right found Dunbar at the back post and powered a header into the top corner despite a brave attempt at a save from the Gers keeper.


We were dominating the match and playing some very nice football, though Paul couldn't take advantage when the ball broke for him twenty yards out and he sliced his shot wide.


Rangers had their first chance of the match when a forward got one-on-one with Galindo but his shot was lashed wildly over and never looked like troubling Dick in the QP goal.


There was a slight lull in the game until Lenny was denied a stonewall penalty when hacked down in the box on the half hour mark. Lenny couldn't continue after picking up a hopefully minor knee injury and on came CC in his place.


Almost instantly, he was involved in our third goal. Adam's corner, from the left this time, was headed into the ground by CC and when it spun back up Ross sent a shot arcing over his own shoulder and into the top corner from close range. 3-0.


Once again we took no time in finding another goal and before we could blink Dave had made it four. A slide rule pass from midfield sent David scampering in one-on-one with the keeper and he made no mistake expertly placing his shot to the keeper's left and into the corner of the net.


We were well in charge and Rangers were glad for the half time break in which they made a host of changes. There was only one for QP to make as Robert replaced goal hero David who was coming off for a breather before chasing his first ever hat trick.


In truth, Rangers had their best spell of the match at the beginning of the half and Andy had to be alert to hold two excellent long range drives which could have been problematic. They got a goal back on the hour mark when a sub skinned Galindo and poked the ball past Andy from close range.


This was the wee wake up call we needed though and we burst back into action. Sean was very unfortunate to miss out on a goal when he slammed a shot past the keeper from close range, it was knocked out from behind the line but Mr Carberry, the referee, did not give the goal.


Adam was next to threaten when Dave, back on for Ally cut inside but Walker could only touch his driven cross wide of the mark. A Paul set piece almost resulted in a comedy own goal as a backwards header skimmed the post before Ross narrowly missed out on his hat trick with a rising 30 yard strike which just cleared the bar.


All in, a terrific performance and a terrific return to form.





Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here