Saturday 27th April v Montrose at Broomfield Pitches


David Stewart; Martin Kelly, Robert Shimmons, Andy McNaught, Calum Colquhoun (c) (Scott Kilpatrick); Gary Duncan, David Blair, Ally McNaught, Adam Walker; Scott Macrae, Danny McFarlane


QP’s last official away game of the season so we set off from the Social Club at 9am in a minibus with twenty one people dressed in various degrees of fancy dress or wearing a “shitey shirt”.


On arrival in Montrose we had another game against their Supporters before the “big game” but, despite the good numbers on the bus, we only had twelve players to choose from.


We arrived past the kick off time but changed quickly and assembled on the pitch to be greeted by a strong wind going up and down it.


The Boss had some big decisions to make regarding selection but came up with David in goals; Safehands (michty me) and Boab at full back with the Boss (for the first time at centre half) and CC in central defence; Gary, LHD, Ally and Adam made up the midfield; Sebo and Away Day Danny were up front. On the bench was the new exciting talent that is The Goat.


The home side had about sixteen to choose from and it always looked an uphill challenge for us, although he shot downhill first half.


In games like these you either need a bit of luck or a bit of brilliance and it was the latter that earned us an early lead.


The Montrose keeper punted the ball from hand to the halfway line where Danny expertly controlled the ball then looked up and fired a shot into the top corner past the despairing keeper. A superb bit of thinking from Danny and a wonderful opening goal.


As the half wore on Montrose put the pressure on and David had to look lively on umpteen occasions with one save in particular bringing applause from the opposition it was that good.


In an unaccustomed role, Safehands had got stuck in and made a couple of good clearing headers from corners (it was suggested that maybe he should try that in the future when any high shots came his way in goals) but his “all arms and legs” style saw him give away a penalty for a push in the area.


The kick was duly dispatched and we then went behind just before the break when CC, who had tweaked a hamstring, couldn’t stretch enough to stop a forward scoring.


No changes at half time on the park but the support did slope off to the pub as their carry out was finished and it was cold. Poor effort lads !


The second half was this time literally uphill but we snatched an equaliser when Ally hit a long shot which crept under the bar (not sure about this one as I was elsewhere and returned to be told by The Goat that CC had scored. How much had that boy had to drink ?).


As we tired, and CC’s hamstring got worse, Montrose threw on a couple of flying wingers which was never going to be good for us and they scored three times to make it 5-2.


There hadn’t been enough passing football on the day but we managed a wee break and some slick work ended with Adam firing past the keeper to show what we could do.


The Goat had to come on for his debut as CC eventually couldn’t carry on so LHD went into central defence with Andy Boy, probably the most unlikely pairing since Mick Fleetwood and Samantha Fox were asked to host the Brit Awards all those years ago.


The home side carried on attacking and scored another couple near the end before the referee put us all out of our misery by blowing the final whistle.


Soup, rolls and some liquid refreshment were supplied by the home side after the game then we headed to Links Park to see Queen’s beat Montrose 2-1 in another successful away day for the big team.


A wee drink in the British Legion (hats off for the Queen) then a stop at Auchterarder before heading back to The Langside after another enjoyable day out.


Thanks to those that made the journey and thanks to Montrose for their hospitality. And to Kenny the driver for putting up with us.



Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here