Sunday 30th October - Friendly

v Registrars at Holyrood Sports Centre

Martin Kelly, Arthur McCue (Calum Colquhoun), Stephen Fox, Stuart Waugh, Jack Waugh, Ally McNaught, Andy Dick, Craig McKenna, Paul Joyce (c) (Sean Connolly), David Blair (Alan Galindo) and Adam Walker

After a four week break we were back in action at last as Wee Al’s Registrars visited Holyrood.

The previous game had been against Dulwich and the veterans, Moon, Machine (CG), Raeburn and Campbell (Mr) had been ditched in favour of some of the more athletic squad members, and Arthur.

There were fourteen in the squad and we welcomed back Foxy after his ankle injury sustained when a big girl from Coatbridge stood on him.

 Safehands was back in goals after finding out what we always knew, he can’t play up front; Arthur and Foxy were at full back with Stu and Jack in the centre; in the middle of the park Ally, Andy D, Adam and the returning Craig (McKenna/Crosbie ?); up front we had Paul and LHD.

We were delighted to see Uncle Crossers in attendance although he was unable to play due to a knee injury. This didn’t stop him taking a full part in the “warm up” (see who can hit the ball the highest over the fence) and he duly limped off as the referee whistled for the start of the game.

Registrars have proved to be difficult opponents in the past and they had thirteen with them including Wee Al at left back but our own Neil Skinner was missing although he did come down and watch along with his son.

The game started in unexpected sunshine and Registrars took the initiative and had an early shot from the edge of the box saved by Safehands.

Safehands again was in action with another save and Stu, showing rare confidence/foolishness, headed the rebound back to our net minder while he was still on the ground.

Newly married Craig then tried his luck from distance, as ever, and the Registrars keeper saved well.

Fifteen minutes into the game we went behind when Safehands was beaten by a shot from inside the area which he perhaps should have saved (or at least that’s what Uncle Crossers reckoned and he knows a bit about goalkeeping, apparently).

A disappointing start but we didn’t wait long for an equaliser as Ally fired a shot from 30 yards (or 40 or even more) which flew past a surprised Registrars keeper.

The goal was a huge boost for us and for Ally who proceeded to shoot from distance at every opportunity, his next efforts troubling the corner flags more than the goals.

Ally, however, was getting crosses in and from one LHD tried a lob which the keeper tipped wide.

From Ally’s resultant corner Craig headed home inside the six yard box to put us ahead.

Registrars immediately came back at us and a through ball saw Jack skinned by a forward but Safehands made a great one on one save to keep us ahead.

Before the game we had identified Registrars midfielder Chris as being their danger man (as well as Wee Al of course) and we had managed to keep him quiet for the first half an hour.

Two efforts from Chris, a free kick just over and a shot which Safehands saved, showed that he was coming into the game.

The last efforts of the first half however came our way as first Paul headed a corner wide, then LHD had a shot saved before the long haired one took a long throw to Adam who saw his effort saved.

The first half had been good and we had shown a lot of team spirit which had been asked for before the game.

Only three changes at half time as CC, Sean and Goal A Game Galindo came on for Arthur, Paul and LHD.

Within a minute of the restart we had been pegged back with a lucky goal. A low shot from a free kick deflected off Foxy and Chris headed home from inside the six yard box to make it 2-2.

A couple of minutes later we were nearly behind but Safehands saved well from a long range shot.

Stung into action wee Galindo set about trying to get us back in the lead.

A good move saw Sean cross to Gee but he headed wide. Gee then shot over before heading off the bar after a brilliant cross from Ally.

Craig and Chris in the middle of the park were having a right old tussle but we were coming out on top as Craig showed that he could actually tackle quite hard.

With the midfield battle being won even Foxy was pushing forward and he shot wide from about thirty yards.

Adam was next to have a go but the Registrars keeper saved his shot well.

Talking of the Registrars keeper, he decided that he should maybe push on a bit and started taking the ball out of the area and tried to go on mazy runs.

This brought gasps of approval from Uncle Crossers on the sidelines who had longed to see an overlapping keeper in his own mould. I think the correct phrase is “eccentric”.

Talking of keepers, our own net minder hadn’t been involved in the action much in the second half but he got woken up when Chris shot just wide although I’m sure Safehands had it covered.

The scores were level but we were in the ascendancy and Wee Gee had a goal chopped off for offside before he shot wide after a cross from Andy.

Craig had a shot blocked that went wide before at last we went ahead with only fifteen minutes remaining.

It was Ally again who was the provider with a cross to the back post which Gee fired in to make it 3-2.

We went in search of a fourth and Gee volleyed over before Craig saw a header superbly saved from an Ally corner.

With time ticking away we became a bit more defensive, probably due to tiredness seeing we hadn’t played for so long, but at the final whistle the victory was ours.

An excellent victory, and performance, where everybody gave their all and played together with the attitude superb.

Back to the Viccy bar for food and drink and some of the Registrars guys were there till near shutting time, as were a couple of our usual suspects.

A good day out and a heartening performance.













Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here