Saturday 31st August 2013  at Toryglen Football Centre (indoor)

Under 25's 2 Over 25's 0

Teams: Unders - David Stewart, David McLean, Peter Ranger, Fraser Marr, Alan Galindo (c), Ross Dunbar, Gary Duncan, Duncan Raeburn, Christopher Havlin, David Blair, Michael Cameron, Scott Macrae, Stuart Waugh and Fred Spanner

Overs - Andy McNaught jnr, Mark McGowan, Allan Mackenzie, Calum Colquhoun (c), Stephen McGilp, Ally McNaught, Martin Harvey, Alan Raeburn, John Crosbie, Craig McKenna, Ian Nicolson, Andrew Myles, Robert Shimmons, Andy Dick, Gordon McCallum, Andy McNaught snr, Freddy Halliday and Gordon Mulholland

To celebrate the life of Martin Kelly, who sadly passed away suddenly in London on 1st June, we organised a Memorial Game with the proceeds going to Epilepsy Scotland.

The initial plan had been to play at Lesser Hampden on the Saturday evening after QP had played Stirling Albion but that plan got scuppered four days before the event when we discovered that Lesser didn’t have any changing facilities due to the on-going work at the ground.

After much discussion we decided that we would move the game indoor to Toryglen and the only time available was 12pm.

Unfortunately this meant that some people who were able to play in the evening were now unable to take part but we still managed a very creditable 32 players in total.

The teams were arranged into Under 25’s and Over 25’s although a liberal use of ages was used so we could get a good competitive game.

We had a couple of guest players from teams we have played against with Pete Ranger of Leyton Orient travelling on the overnight bus from London and getting into Glasgow at 8am on Saturday morning.

Mark McGowan who plays for Shrewsbury Town in the Sixes also came along to play, although he now lives in Glasgow.

It was good to see some of our non-regular players turn up to play as well as debutants Ian Nicolson, Andy Myles, Fred Spanner and the dynamic duo, Freddy and Gordon.

The Boss, Andy McNaught volunteered to play in goals for the Overs and joined his brother Ally and father Andy Da in the line-up.

After a minutes applause for Martin the game kicked off on the huge indoor pitch and within a few minutes some of our non-regular players were feeling the pace.

It turns out the pitch is actually bigger than Hampden and its dimensions are beyond the normal size of any pitch so no wonder some people were struggling (particularly Dave McLean !).

Obviously the pitch is dry inside Toryglen but it didn’t stop Andy Da from falling over umpteen times at the start of the game as he made a rare outfield appearance.

There was only one goal scored in the first half when LHD put the ball past Andy Boy with what was described as a “sclaf”.

Plenty of changes at the break and the Overs cunningly put a twelfth man on, although the referee did spot it but he got ignored.

As the half wore on more players got put on and the game ended something like 14/12 to the Overs.

LHD, on his birthday, again was the only scorer in the second half with a sublime lob over Andy Boy.

The last fifteen minutes or so of the game were spent in the Unders half but that was because of the numerical advantage they had but they couldn’t create any decent chances to score.

The final whistle signalled the end of a competitive game which the Unders deserved to win as they had the fresher legs and looked better organised, even with Marzinho playing at centre back.

After the game everybody headed to the Social Club for some sandwiches then onto Hampden Park to see Queen’s lose 2-0.

At night we had a raffle in the Social Club and some of the people who couldn’t make the early game turned up including Gav Stewart from Perth.

Gogo and Ollie from Wattenscheid also made a surprise appearance and there was an excellent turnout for the evening part of the day.

Thanks to Sean Connolly we had a Quiz about goalkeepers and either the Buffoons or the Clowns won after a lengthy tiebreak.

A raffle was held and a huge thanks to all who bought tickets and provided prizes. The final total from the day reached £750, including a cheque for £150 from the Leyton Orient Supporters Team, with the money going to Epilepsy Scotland in Martin’s name.

Thanks to everybody who turned up, especially to Brian, Bridie, Erin and the rest of the Kelly family and friends who came along for the day.

Thanks also to Garry Templeman for looking after the Kelly family during the Queen’s game and to Marie in the Social Club for making the sandwiches for us.

There will be an annual Memorial Game for Martin and we’re also pleased to announce that there will be a special trophy named after Martin which will be awarded at the Ian Younger Sixes each year for the best goalkeeper.

Photos in Photo Gallery - Thanks to Ian Cairns for taking them


Twitter Follow Button



QPSFC proudly support Epilepsy Scotland

In loving memory of Martin Kelly

Donate here